Organic Chemistry Overview
Organic chemistry is the study of the structure, properties, composition, reactions, and preparation of carbon-containing compounds, which pertains to not only hydrocarbons but also compounds with any number of other elements. This includes: hydrogen (most compounds contain at least one carbon–hydrogen bond), nitrogen, oxygen, halogens, phosphorus, silicon, and sulfur.
Organic compounds are all around us. Organic chemistry plays a part in the development of common household chemicals, foods, plastics, drugs, and fuels most of the chemicals part of daily life. Several careers apply an understanding of organic chemistry, such as doctors, veterinarians, dentists, pharmacologists, chemical engineers, and chemists. The very foundations of biochemistry, biotechnology, and medicine are built on organic compounds and their role in life processes. Many modern, high-tech materials are at least partially composed of organic compounds.
An organic chemist is a chemist with a college degree in chemistry. Typically this would be a doctorate or master's degree in organic chemistry, though a bachelor's degree in chemistry may be sufficient for some entry-level positions. Organic chemistry has long been seen as one of the most difficult subjects required of prospective medical school students. Students dread the class for many reasons, and it’s rumored to cause more pre-med dropouts than any other subject. Our organic chemistry tutors, holding degrees from bachelor to doctorate, are familiar with the taxing demand required of a pre-med student.
Although difficult, its importance is apparent! Did you know that the prefix “hydro-” in hydrocarbons refers to hydrogen, not water? That small misinterpretation could be the life-threatening!
Parliament's Organic Chemistry Tutoring Program equips students with...:
- An understanding of what Organic Chemistry is within its purview of natural sciences.
- The skills necessary to learn the structure and function of organic compounds, as well as the fundamentals of chemical composition.
- The application of organic chemistry in daily life to emphasize its importance.
- Effective study skills which can be translated into use for other disciplines.
- Our ecology tutors will introduce students to all the relevant fundamentals as well as important concepts for their mastery of ecology